RORY'S TWENTY-FIRST BIRTHDAY — As Rory's (Alexis Bledel) twenty-first birthday approaches, both Lorelai (Lauren Graham) and Rory are saddened by the fact that their ongoing estrangement will keep them from spending the day the way they had always planned. Richard (Edward Herrmann) tries to convince Lorelai to help him with a plan to get Rory back to Yale, but Lorelai insists that Rory has to make the decision herself. While Richard continues to worry about Rory's future, Emily (Kelly Bishop) throws herself into planning an elaborate birthday party. Meanwhile, Emily and Richard are shocked when they realize that Rory and Logan (Matt Czuchry) have been having sex.
- Lauren Graham as Lorelai Gilmore
- Alexis Bledel as Rory Gilmore
- Melissa McCarthy as Sookie St. James
- Scott Patterson as Luke Danes
- Keiko Agena as Lane Kim
- Liza Weil as Paris Geller
- Matt Czuchry as Logan Huntzberger
- and Kelly Bishop as Emily Gilmore
- special appearance by
- Edward Herrmann as Richard Gilmore
Special Appearance By
- Madeleine Albright
- Danny Strong as Doyle McMaster
- Ted Rooney as Morey Dell
- Susan Bjurman as Vivian Lewis
- Michael Clayton McCarthy as Reverend Boatwright
- Laura Carson as Tweenie Halpern
- Lyndsey Fields as Shelby
- Debbie Zipp as Katherine
- Tamara Zook as Claire
- A.J. Tesler as Rob
- Joseph G. Williamson as Bartender
- Kavita Patil as Gilmore Maid
- This episode marks the second and last celebration of Rory birthday on the show. The first was her 16th birthday
- Logan meets Lane and Zack meet for the first time.
- Luke gives Rory a necklace that belonged to his mother.
- It is revealed that Paris is now the Yale Daily News editor after Doyle stepped down.
- Emily finds out about Luke and Lorelai's engagement.
- "One" by Three Dog Night
- "It's DeLovely" by Cole Porter
- Lorelai – When Rory wants help, she will ask for it. The minute she does, I will fly in faster than the Gulf Stream I'm sure you're going to offer to buy her next.
- Rory – So, do I look older?
- Madeline Albright – Oh, yeah. Walk into Denny's before five and you've got yourself a discount.
- Rory – I just had a dream that Madeline Albright was my mother.
- Lorelai – I want to be a mad scientist, I'm going to come out in a blood-stained white lab coat and freaky makeup and a big giant Don King kind of hairdo.
- Lorelai – Okay, and so I come out and do mad scientist banter, like, 'Hey, who here's from Bellevue?
- Luke – What are the odds of you getting me to do a skit where you electrocute me, cut me open, and pull link sausages out of me? 'Cause I'm thinking they're right up there with Pia Zadora making a big comeback.
- Lorelai – Determined, demented, delovely.
- Sookie – I can't believe Rory's turning 21. It seems like just yesterday she was crying because you told her Charlotte Brontë couldn't come to her sleepover because she's dead.
- Rory – It's been weeks since I've had anything that hasn't been supersized for dinner.
- Luke – It tasted pink. I mean, like, really tasted really pink. Like pink-pink...it's like drinking a My Little Pony.
- Lorelai – No, me and John O'Hurley. Luke doesn't know yet. I hope he takes it okay.