When Richard's (Edward Herrmann) mother, the original Lorelai (guest star Marion Ross, "Happy Days"), arrives from London and offers Lorelai (Lauren Graham) a trust fund for Rory's (Alexis Bledel) education, Emily (Kelly Bishop) goes into an emotional tailspin, fearing that if Lorelai and Rory have financial independence, she'll lose contact with them again.
- Gran has been to Cambodia.
- Rory realises that Tristan has feelings for her.
- The way Trix treats Emily is a parallel to how Emily treats Lorelai, although Emily, for all her suffering at the hands of her mother-in-law, is completely oblivious to this.
- "It's The Life" by Grant Lee Buffalo
- Hamlet by Shakespeare (Scene 3): the great-grandmother Lorelai quotes, "Neither a borrower nor a lender be."
- The Silence of the Lambs
- The Elephant Man
- Queen of Outer Space
- Battlestar Galactica
- Saving Private Ryan
- Lorelai – I still can't get over that I'm related to God, it's going to make getting Madonna tickets so much easier.
- Lorelai – Stupid, naked angel butts. What, did David Mamet just stop by?
- Rory – Not all girls want to be queen. Even Barbie ended up being a stewardess.
- Rory – I think, Louis, this the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
- Paris – Too "cabin in the woods"?
- Rory – Don't open your mail ...
- Rory – (to Tristan) Well, that could have been a potential Marx Brother's moment.
- Lorelai – (to Rory) Lucy, how many times have I told you not to butt into other people's business?
- Emily – (about Trix) I don't care if she thinks I'm the whore of Babylon.
- Lorelai – I don't care if she buys a house or a boat or the Elephant Man's bones.
- Rory – Good, then it's a good time to talk about our overtaxed peasants.
- Paris – Oh, let them eat cake.
- Lorelai – It's like watching Fergie all over again.
- Lorelai – I don't want Boo Radley touching my rosebud wallpaper.
- Emily – Oh my God, there's nothing in here.
- Rory – I know, it's a little sparse.
- Emily – It's the Grapes of Wrath.
- Emily – There are women in bikinis on them.
- Rory – They are the original Charlie's Angels. It took us years to get a complete set. You can find the Kate Jacksons and the Sally Hacks pretty easily, even the Cheryl Ladds. But the Farrah Fawcetts and the Jacqueline Smiths are a little harder to come by but still accessible. The trick is to find the Tonya Roberts. We have three.
- Emily – You have three Tonya Roberts?
- Rory – Yep.
- Emily – And I was worried. Silly me.
- Lane – Like Joy Division gloomy? Nick Cave gloomy? Robert Smith gloomy?
- Rory – Johnny Cash gloomy.
- Lane – So like a San Quentin-y, it's a long road home and my horse just got shot and I still got my girl by my side gloomy?
- Rory – You read my mind.
- Lane – I'm deep into Charlie Parker gloomy.
- Lorelai – I sat her down to listen to a Prince song once and she looked like she was having a stroke.
- Rory – Only in an intergalatic court.
- Lorelai – You bought her Cosmo Girl.
- Emily – The young girls enjoy the articles.
- Lorelai – You bought boy band posters and Hello Kitty notepads.
- Lorelai – Yes, I would date Steven Tyler.
- Lorelai – It would be like the first 15 minutes of Saving Private Ryan but at least those guys "got to be in France"!