- ❝ Richard – Trix, Lorelai is a grown woman
- Trix – Ridiculous. This is a family. It is a family's responsibility to make sure that this doesn't happen. We have a reputation to uphold ❞
Although she is completely exhausted by her heavy workload at Yale, Rory (Alexis Bledel) is still horrified when a professor suggests she drop a class, and she confesses her self-doubt to her former boyfriend Dean (Jared Padalecki), who is working in the construction crew at the Dragonfly Inn. Meanwhile, frustrated because she can never get Rory on the phone and by the nonstop work involved in getting the Dragonfly ready to open, Lorelai (Lauren Graham) first accuses Sookie (Melissa McCarthy) of not pulling her weight, then turns to Luke (Scott Patterson) for help and advice. Finally, Richard (Edward Herrmann) is infuriated when he and Lorelai both get a taste of the nastiness that Gran (guest-star Marion Ross) usually reserves for Emily (Kelly Bishop).
- Lauren Graham as Lorelai Gilmore
- Alexis Bledel as Rory Gilmore
- Melissa McCarthy as Sookie St. James
- Scott Patterson as Luke Danes
- Keiko Agena as Lane Kim
- Yanic Truesdale as Michel Gerard
- Liza Weil as Paris Geller
- Chris Eigeman as Jason Stiles
- and Kelly Bishop as Emily Gilmore
- special appearance by
- Edward Herrmann as Richard Gilmore
Special Guest Star
- Emily Kuroda as Mrs. Kim
- Biff Yeager as Tom
- Olivia Hack as Tanna Schrick
- Katie Walder as Janet Billings
- Ethan Cohn as Glenn Babble
- Aaron Hill as Kleebold
- Mike Henry as Ed
- Patty Malcolm as Leanne
- Sarah Zinsser as Delia
- ❝ Lane – And maybe one day we'll live in a house made of cheese
- Rory – I hope so ❞
- ―Childhood plans
- ‶Absolutely not, I am company. You do not answer the phone when you have company″
- —Gran to Lorelai
- ‶Well, when you have my money to bail you out, taking risks isn't much of a problem, now, is it?″
- —Trix to Richard
- Richard and Trix have their first ever fight in front of Lorelai.
- Trix declares that Richard would have lost his house, if it weren't for her giving him money when he made a bad investment at 27.
- Rory gets a job swiping card as the dining hall at Yale.
- Lane has to move out of Rory's dorm.
- Lane gets her job at Luke's back
- This is the first episode of Gilmore Girls in which Alexis Bledel and Lauren Graham do not appear together. This would not happen again until the sixth season.
- "Livin' On a Prayer" by Bon Jovi
- The Carpenters
- Paris – I should just tell her Asher Flemming's my man so she can compare her circa 1972 Lou Ferrigno with him.
- Paris – Gandalf the Grey is still falling down it.
- Lorelai – I get a phone call from a guy who sounds like a "Kids in the Hall" character telling me I have to get to the inn to okay a sink...
- Trix – It makes you look like Adolphe Menjou.
- Trix – Unless your partner is a Rockefeller, you are in serious financial trouble.