Newly retired Richard (Edward Herrmann) is driving Emily (Kelly Bishop) crazy, so Lorelai (Lauren Graham) is coerced into taking her father for a day in Stars Hollow, where he proceeds to drive both Lorelai and Rory (Alexis Bledel) batty while criticizing every aspect of their lives and refusing to let Rory accept the car that Dean (Jared Padalecki) has built for her.
Richard visits Stars Hollow, and drives Lorelai crazy by passing judgment on every aspect of her life, from her eating habits to how she conducts her work. Elsewhere (to her mother's dismay), Rory ends up having to help Paris when she visits Stars Hollow searching for a "seedy underbelly" for the front story of The Franklin. There, Rory gains unexpected praise when she accidentally encourages censorship in the Stars Hollow Video Store.
Dean finishes building Rory's car and surprises her with it, but Richard insists that he gets the car checked to make sure its safe. After returning to Lorelai's house, he says that Rory may accept the car and everything is fine. Lorelai gets very angry at him for making Dean take the car to Gypsy's to get checked, and states that she is the parent and she will decide about what is best for Rory, not him.
- "A Foggy Day in London Town" by George & Ira Gershwin
- Gustave Flaubert, general author reference
- Summer of Fear by T. Jefferson Parker
- The Scarecrow of Oz by L. Frank Baum
- Contact by Carl Sagan
- Three Days of the Condor
- The Jerk
- Bull Durham
- Dances with Wolves
- The Postman
- Harold and Maude
- Rosemary's Baby
- Cool as Ice
- Hudson Hawk
- Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo
- Legally Blonde
- Richard – A first edition Flaubert, mint condition, shoved behind several of my Churchill biographies.
- Lorelai – Mom, when Dad was talking about the vase, you were pulling a full-on Tabitha.
- Lorelai – It's going to be a bad, depressing Lifetime movie, and Nancy McKeon will be playing me. I am Jo.
- Lorelai – Hmm, do the Florida people know about you? Because Anita Bryant left this huge gap that's yet to be filled.
- Luke – (referring to Paris) Who's your friend?
- Rory – Angela Lansbury.
- Paris – Nothing, not even a cigarette butt on the ground, I can't believe it. This town would make Frank Capra wanna throw up.
- Lorelai – Nothing that came out of your mouth today might, in any universe visited by Kirk or Spock, be construed as constructive.
- Lorelai – Rory's my kid and I make the rules, so if she comes home one day and says, 'Hey, uh, I'm gonna spend the weekend with Patricia Krenwinkel' I say, 'Okay, grab a sweater,' you just have to deal.