- ❝ Luke – Alright, stop imagining me in tights, Patty
- Patty – It's a free country, honey ❞
- ―Master of distraction
LOVE TAKES A PAINFUL TURN FOR BOTH LORELAI AND RORY AS STARS HOLLOW IS INVADED BY TROUBADOURS – Stars Hollow is suddenly overrun with troubadours when news gets out that the town's regular street performer (Grant Lee Phillips) has been discovered. On the evening of Logan's (Matt Czuchry) graduation from Yale, Rory throws him a wild party, but the knowledge that he is being forced to leave for London the next day makes their time together bittersweet. Meanwhile, at a Friday night dinner, Emily and Richard attempt to set Christopher (David Sutcliffe) up with an attractive young woman (guest star Melora Hardin). Finally, Lorelai decides she was wrong to let Luke postpone their wedding for so long and delivers a tearful ultimatum.
Lorelai wakes up at Sookie and Jackson's place and is now trying desperately to avoid Luke. Logan graduates from Yale, with both Rory and the Huntzberger clan in attendance. Taylor must deal with a bevy of street musicians who have descended upon Stars Hollow now that the town troubadour has left after striking a record deal. The dejected singer returns only to find that his turf has been overrun with musicians. At Friday night dinner, Emily tries to set up Christopher with a comely psychologist named Carolyn, but he has no interest in her and asks Lorelai to bail him out. At the evening's end, Lorelai pours her heart to Carolyn, discussing her relationship woes with her. It's Logan's final night in the U.S., and Rory throws a Britain-themed party for Logan, complete with a look-alike of Her Majesty, cardboard cutouts of Big Ben and the Buckingham Palace guards, and an appropriately styled Rory wearing wearing knee-high go-go boots. Rory and Logan discuss their relationship as he prepares to depart for England. They share an emotional good-bye the next morning right before Logan heads to the airport. The episode concludes with a frantic Lorelai confronting Luke about their wedding date. Lorelai, distraught, shows up at Christopher's door and spends the night with him.
- Lauren Graham as Lorelai Gilmore
- Alexis Bledel as Rory Gilmore
- Melissa McCarthy as Sookie St. James
- Scott Patterson as Luke Danes
- Sean Gunn as Kirk Gleason
- Matt Czuchry as Logan Huntzberger
- and Kelly Bishop as Emily Gilmore
- special appearance by
- Edward Herrmann as Richard Gilmore
Special Guest Stars
Special Appearances By
- Melora Hardin as Carolyn Bates
- Liz Torres as Miss Patty
- Michael Winters as Taylor Doose
- Jackson Douglas as Jackson Belleville (voice)
- Grant Lee Phillips as Town Troubadour
- Alan Loayza as Colin McCrae
- Tanc Sade as Finn
- Dave (Gruber) Allen as The Second Troubadour
- Gregg Binkley as Officer Weston
- Sam Phillips as Muse Troubadour
- Joe Pernice as Bearded Troubadour
- Ron Mael as Bauhaus Troubadour
- Russell Mael as Bohemian Troubadour
- Ira Kaplan as Hoboken Guy Troubadour
- Georgia Hubley as Hoboken Girl Troubadour
- James McNew as McNewer Hoboken Troubadour
- Thurston Moore as Cool Dad Troubadour
- Kim Gordon as Cool Mom Troubadour
- Daniel Palladino as Town Loner Troubadour
- Coco Gordon-Moore as Cool Kid Troubadour
- Dave Rygalski as Thumbless Bass Troubadour
- Brian Zydiak as Thumbless Guitar Troubadour
- Eric Gorfain as Sideburned Troubadour
- Nicolette Collier as Georgia Hayden
- Rich DiDonato as Cliff
- Inger Jackson as Inger
- Patty Malcolm as Mrs. Harris
- Irene White as Gerta
- Soledad Campos as Miriam
- Amy Kuney as Folk Singer Troubadour
- ❝ Carolyn – What about Max? Did you love him?
- Lorelai – No, I didn't. I wanted to, but, I didn't ❞
- ‶And the crazy thing is, I am ready to get married; I am ready to start the next phase of my life, I want another kid″
- —Lorelai to Carolyn
- ❝ Logan – Tell me not to get on that plane. Tell me to blow off my father, the paper, the whole Huntzberger destiny. Just tell me I can figure something else out. Just tell me not to go
- Rory – Well, I can't do that ❞
- ―No support
- Emily's college roommate was Marie Randall – her daughter, Carolyn Bates, attends Friday Night Dinner.
- Musical guests include Sonic Youth, series scorer Sam Phillips, Mary Lynn Rajskub, Yo La Tengo, Sparks, Joe Pernice and Dave Gruber Allen.
- Daniel Palladino sings with one of the many troubadour groups flooding Stars Hollow, singing the infamous line 'Doctor, give me rum, cause a beaver ate my thumb'.
- Logan graduates from Yale and leaves for London. Rory throws him a themed going away party.
- Lorelai gives Luke an ultimatum to elope with her but he refuses to do it because of April. During her speech to him she also says she loves him for the first time on-screen.
- Lorelai sleeps with Christopher.
- amazing glow | PERNICE BROTHERS
- performed by joe pernice
- perfume | SPARKS
- last train to clarksville | THE MONKEES
- the story of yo la tengo | YO LA TENGO
- what a waste | SONIC YOUTH
- taking pictures | SAM PHILLIPS
- Neil Young, Pat Boone, Insane Clown Posse, U2, Petula Clark
- Fatal Attraction
- Turning Point
- Purple Rain
- Shakespeare in Love
- Logan – I'm taking that Stalin biography away from you.
- Troubadour – Can you say "BTK?"
- Lorelai – Kimmy saw this guy at the mall who was a total Chachi, and he bought us a slurpee, and we totally lost track of time.
- Rory – I won't be ignored, Dan.
- Rory – I made reservations at this crappy Italian restaurant with Chianti bottles hanging from the ceiling, and the husband and wife that own the place wind up screaming at each other after 8:00. We love it!
- Miss Patty – You know, half the time people speak to me, I'm thinking about Baryshnikov. Did you see Turning Point?
- Emily – It's so important to find someone who can make you laugh. I was always so envious of Johnny Carson's wives. I just thought these women must do nothing but laugh all the time.
- Taylor – Oh, forget it … Barney Fife.
- Lorelai – You're talking about Emily Dickinson, right? 'Cause Emily Gilmore was made to do this.
- Lorelai – Lynnie, as a psychologist, tell me what do you think of The Sopranos?
- Carolyn – Actually, I miss Adriana.
- Logan – Kiss me, Mary Poppins.
- Emily – The way he was going on about that motorcycle of this. I half expected him to start talking about his Tonka truck and announcing to the room he wanted to be a fireman or a cowboy someday.
- Lorelai – For months now, I've been skulking around not saying anything, not having an opinion, like I'm Clarence Thomas or something, and I … I'm done with that.
- Rory – I keep trying to think of fabulous things to say, but all I can think is, "Say 'Hi' to William and Harry for me."