Mitchum is the father of Logan and Honor Huntzberger and the husband of Shira Huntzberger. He is a big-shot in the newspaper industry and is very wealthy. He treated Rory better than his father and wife did when they all first met her. He offers Rory an internship at the Stamford Gazette, but eventually he tells her he doesn't think she "has what it takes." He takes it back in Season 7, and tells her he would be willing to help her get any job she wanted at any newspaper she liked.
Mitchum was born in 1953, the second of four children and the oldest son. A Yale alum who ran track, he did not attend grad school and had some "lost" years after college. He worked as a reporter and editor on two of the Huntzberger papers before taking over as CEO of the company.
- Mitchum hates peas and is interested in sailing and wine (he even wrote a wine column for some time).
- He only sleeps 4 hours a night.
- There are 12,053 entries on Google about him in 2005.
- Mitchum was shortlisted for the Pullitzer for covering the Iranian hostage crisis when he was 25.
- Also covered Haiti in 1985.
- He likes jazz.
- He hates it when people quote My Favorite Things from The Sound of Music.
- He switches to decaf after 4:00 because of high blood pressure.
- He hates double talk, but he's really good at it.
- He ran a 4 minute mile in college